Here, we discuss the question: why is occupational hygiene very important?
Here, we’d like to provide more information about, and an answer to the often asked question, why is occupational hygiene very important?
Occupational hygiene describes the prevention of ill-health in the workplace by managing health risks which arise from exposure to hazardous substances.
Moreover, occupational hygiene is the anticipation, recognition, evaluation, control, and confirmation of protection from hazards at work that may result in injury, illness, or affect the well being of workers. These hazards or stressors are typically divided into the categories:
An Occupational Hygienist will undertake a study of the workplace health risks, which will include monitoring for hazardous substances, a report will be compiled on these findings and control measures will be suggested to reduce health risks.
Why is occupational hygiene very important?
Occupational Hygiene is very important because exposure to hazardous substances, both short and long-term, can cause a range of illnesses from allergic reactions, skin or breathing problems, to cancers.
Occupational hygiene at R&B Industrial Ltd.
At R&B Industrial Ltd., our Occupational Hygienist will look at practical ways these health risks can be reduced by reducing exposure to the hazardous substances.
Our occupational hygiene surveys include recommended control measures; a unique offering which will help your organisation to identify the most cost effective way to reduce your employees’ exposure to hazards, for example through substitution with less hazardous substances/processes or the use of LEV Systems.
The experienced engineering team can also implement most COSHH & DSEAR control measures, and we have particular expertise in the design, installation and modification of LEV and explosion protection systems.
Our approach generally reduces costs as duplication of engineering design and consultancy across multiple organisations is avoided – reducing workload and facilitating efficient communication and administration.
Additional services offered
R&B Industrial Ltd. can also offer the following services, in conjunction with a PAM visit, as part of a single cost-effective package:
- ‘Swab’ samples for assessing health / skin absorption risk
- Qualitative & quantitative Face Fit Testing (for RPE)
- Breathing Air Quality Testing
- Full workplace noise surveys, including recommended equipment modifications, e.g. enclosures, attenuation, dampening etc., as well as implementation of these modifications
- DSEAR Risk Assessments and Hazardous Area Classification, including advice on ATEX compliance and guidance on reducing the extent of zones. This can be coordinated with assessment and implementation of COSHH controls
- LEV Initial Assessments and Thorough Examination and Testing
- Review of your filtration / filter requirements; we can provide a whole range of very competitive industrial filters; liquid, dust, fume, gas and air
- Stack Emissions Monitoring
- Fire Risk Assessments
For more information about occupational hygiene or to speak to us about any of our services listed above, please contact us today.